Photographs of the Wangaratta Woollen Mills.
Wangaratta Woollen Mills Limited began in 1919 with a share float by local businessmen to create employment and attract workers and their families to the town. One of the men, William Callander, put his daughters Lena and Alma on board a biplane to disperse leaflets advertising shares all over the region. By 1922 the Wangaratta Woollen Mills was operational, and its powerhouse supplied all the electricity to the town of Wangaratta.
The Woollen Mills were famous for the quality of their woollen yarns, and in the 1950s became involved with synthetic yarns. Well known as a factory with a family atmosphere, an indeed often employing many members of the same family, the Mill had many sporting and social clubs. The Mills became Australian Country Spinners (ACS) in 1994.
Wangaratta Woollen Mills
Rural City of Wangaratta
Do not download, copyright restricted.
From the collection of Gordon Williams, courtesy Ian Payne.