The Goulburn Weir was constructed on the Goulburn River over the years 1887 to 1891. It was the first major diversion structure built for irrigation in Australia. It also contained one of the first hydroelectric turbines in the southern hemisphere. At night time, people came to view the marvellous sight of the weir illuminated by electric light. So remarkable was the weir for its time, it appeared on the reverse of the Australian ten-shilling and half sovereign banknotes from 1913 until 1933.
Goulburn Weir, 2008,
Robyn Ballinger, photographer,
digital colour photo 1600px x 1200px, 2008
This photograph can only be used for research purposes and must not be reproduced, copied or published in any form without the permission of Robyn Ballinger