These photographs show different groups of railway staff at Maryborough Station in the early part of the 20th Century.
Myths surround Maryborough Railway Station, built as part of the vision of a rail-connected Victoria in the pre-motor era. Locals still hear that the station was a mistake, but its grandeur reflects the position Maryborough was to hold as a junction in Victorian rail routes.
The 1890-1 building is Queen Anne style red brick that displays hallmarks of the Anglo-Dutch style. The outside roof consists of different types of Dutch gables with faceted chimneys. Cement renderings decorate the building and echo the style of the wooden details of the windows and doors. Tuscan order columns support a wide but similarly profiled lintel and large bluestone steps form the entrance to the base.
The long platform is covered by a spectacular veranda. It has a hipped roof, part of which is glass. The veranda cast-iron columns also act as down pipes for storm water, which is stored in large underground tanks. The foyer’s tessellated floor was laid by Cawkwell's of Malvern, whose work can also be seen at Parliament House in Melbourne. The Station’s interior features carved ticket box windows and an elaborate English Oak or Australian Mountain Ash ceiling.
(Information courtesy Glenda James)
Further InformationThis photograph, donated by Louisa Wragg, features the Maryborough Railway Station staff, around the turn of the century. The back of the photograph gives the following:
Mr Hutton, standing in front of the "Leader"
Mr Conroy, second in second row from the right
Mr Powell, Guard, standing against the post, first left back row
Mr Heriot, Stationmaster, 4th left in middle row
Mr W Sutton, in uniform, second left, back row
Mr Price, Head Porter, in front of Mr Powell in uniform
Mr W Rogers, back row, third from right
Mr F Amour, in uniform, in front of Mr Price
Mr Harrington, first right, bottom row
Mr Cameron, first left, sitting