Ballarat Tramway Museum
Wendouree Parade, BALLARAT
Phone: (03) 5334 1580
The museum is accredited under the Victorian Museum Accreditation Program. It operates along part of the original Ballarat tramway system within the Botanical Gardens Reserve. Its aims are to conserve, display and maintain the various tramway artefacts in order to create a living reminder of Ballarat's past. A display and sales area are located at the depot, which also houses the museum's archives and collection. Access to the collection can be arranged during opening hours. School visits, supported by an educational program document are available by arrangement. The tram collection consists of an 1887 horse tram (No.1) and two Electric Supply Co. of Victoria tramcars, one of which was built in 1905 and which incorporates the saloon portion of a Sydney cable tram trailer built in 1892. There are eleven trams which were operated by the State Electricity Commission, all of which commenced their lives in Melbourne between 1912 and 1920 and two Melbourne tramcars of 1930's vintage. The tramcars are presented in the various operating colour schemes. Another historic vehicle is the overhead service truck, which is built on a 1948 Bedford chassis and operated for the Sydney tramways until 1961 and then in Melbourne until 1980.
17 Tramcars, 3500 other items. Prime items are the tramcars. Also associated equipment, photographs and documentation of tram operations in Ballarat 1887-1971 and of Ballarat Tramway Museum. Also small collections of photographs and some documents of Bendigo & Geelong and Melbourne tramways.