Bendigo Art Gallery
42 View Street , BENDIGO
Phone: (03) 5434 6088
One of Australia’s oldest and largest regional art galleries, Bendigo Art Gallery was founded in 1887 - Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee Year. Each year the Gallery presents a diverse program of exhibitions with local, national and international content. It also schedules programs and events to accompany exhibitions and highlight aspects of the collection, guided tours, lectures, workshops, talks by arts professionals, films and more, in addition to its education programs specifically for schools and educational institutions.
Bendigo Art Gallery has completed an extensive building and renovation program which has seen the addition of a new contemporary wing, storage areas, the restoration of the period rooms, construction of a new entrance, a new gallery shop, improved wheelchair access and a gallery cafe. The collection is constantly growing and the Gallery enjoys the support of an enthusiastic Friends of the Bendigo Gallery membership, the City of Greater Bendigo and Arts Victoria.
The collection of Bendigo Art Gallery includes Australian Art from the 1850s to the present day, with a particular emphasis on contemporary Australian art. The collection also includes works depicting the Bendigo goldfields and 19th century European paintings, sculptures and decorative arts.
The Gallery has an extensive collection of Australian and international arts and crafts. The historic collection includes fine examples of international porcelain from Meissen, Royal Worcester, Royal Doulton and Wedgwood amongst others. The Gallery permanent collection also includes fine examples of international and early Australian furniture, including three major pieces by Robert Prenzel.
Today the Gallery is also developing a collection of contemporary ceramics which has been supported by a local benefactor. As a result of this benefaction, the Gallery now has a substantial collection of ceramics by both established and emerging Australian artists.